Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The Weavers Stand with Standing Rock



If you've read this blog for a while, you know that it has a history of being vanilla. Vanilla, when done well, can be absolutely delicious. It can often be exactly what I crave.

But I'm bored with vanilla.

As I build my photography business and invest creative energy there, it's been harder and harder for me to find the time and desire to come over here. To say the same things I have said for years.

How many more times do I need to tell you that I struggle to find balance between a clean house and doing the things I love most? How many ways can I say "I was in a bad mood and then I went outside and felt better"? I am certain you know that the time with your children is precious and also fraught with tension.

I've been saying these things for years, and so have so many other people who say them better than I do.

My life is reflected in this blog. And that has been wonderful. But I am ready for my life and it's reflection to be more meaningful. Like so many Americans who have found themselves shocked at the outcome of an election we hadn't bothered to worry too much about, so confident were we that it would go our way, I am ready to change.

There are two things I hold dear that I rarely mention in this space: my love for Jesus Christ and my left leaning political inclinations.

Religion and politics. Polite women don't talk about them over dinner or on their mommy blogs.

But I guess I am no longer worried about being polite. I am far more interested in doing what I think is right. And that includes standing up for the oppressed, which is what I took my children to go do in Washington, DC yesterday.

We stood with Standing Rock.

On our way their Gus was full of questions: would we be part of a mob? Was this safe? What do we actually do when we get there.

No. Yes. We put our bodies in a place so that others will know that we care. We are told to rejoice with those who rejoice. To weep with those who weep. Yesterday we stood with those who stand.







3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on both those things (Jesus and the left). God bless you for being firm and calm in this space. And for going to DC to be firm and calm there, too. I am so sad about the state of our country, so it's inspiring to read what you are doing about it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Rachel. It's so important to take action right now, and it is crucial to document and share it with others now and goign forward. I don't think anyone would fault you for making this a space that reflects the full spectrum of your experience, and many of us share your drive to get involved in the aftermath of Nov. 9. And there are enough pics of cute kids here to satisfy that need too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm way behind in blog reading, but I just read this and I wanted to say two things: (1) I think your everyday writing is beautiful and eloquent and (2) even still this is my favorite thing you've ever written. I connect with this in every way.

    ReplyDelete