Friday, March 18, 2016

Body Talk

Earlier this week I wrote something that made me uncomfortable. It made me feel vulnerable and overexposed. But I wrote it, and I sent it off to Bri at Indimoon Rose, who could not have been more supportive.

The piece, Should I Ever Call Myself Fat, has my wheels spinning. There are all sorts of things I wish I had said and didn't include, and other things that maybe I should clarify. It made me realize that I have  much more to say about body positivity and self-acceptance. And I'm not going to shy away from the topic anymore. The point being, there will probably be more talk about these ideas here and any other place that will give me a platform.

I would love to have more conversations about this. Please, please, I would love to hear your thoughts. I would love to know how the word fat makes you feel. I'm not sure that I have ever used it to describe myself except in the past week to my mother. And it made us both cringe. Maybe taking ownership of the word is a powerful step in the direction of acceptance.  Maybe it is completely unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment