Monday, June 23, 2014

This Weekend We- Merhons Take Coney Island

A year ago, my friend Maggie sent me a text telling me about the Coney Island Mermaid Parade. Since that text message, there has been lots of late night bonfire scheming, lots of excitement, lots of image searching and pinning and planning, all leading to a weekend filled with girls and tails and conch shells.

It did not disappoint. We stayed in an Airbnb rental in Bushwick, which was a pretty long hike from Coney Island, but close to friends and cheap, delicious tacos.

We ate donuts (all good stories involve donuts) and sipped coffee on Saturday morning as hair was teased and shimmery green eyeshadow applied. We made the trek across Brooklyn, almost bursting with excitement as we got closer to Coney Island and started to run into more mermaids and parade enthusiasts.

I also fell a little in love with Coney Island, which is so different from the beaches I mostly went to as a kid. It's tacky and raucous and completely fun. I am already scheming more trips.   I want to see the freak shows and ride the rides, eat hot dogs and go back to Gambrinus to feast on lobsters, smoked eels, and baked clams; next time, with my boys in tow.



5 comments:

  1. The amount of cheese in "mermaid parade on Coney Island" is just fabulous. And those mermaid leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh what a dream come true! it's just...everything. lucy is having a mermaid party for her birthday next month (her choice) and i want to recreate sena's beautiful headpiece! did you guys make them? and also, that photo of you and your glorious daughter is the best thing ever.

    and now i'm dying to go to coney island someday. and my mouth is watering for a nathan's pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I can't wait to see Lucy's party pictures.
    We made the headbands with floral wire, hot glue, seashells, and Pom Pom yarn. Making the costumes is half the fun.
    If you ever make your way East for some great adventure, Coney Island seriously needs to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! Superfun looking times! I've always wanted to go to Coney Island, thank you for this vicarious visit.

    ReplyDelete