Tuesday, April 29, 2014

This Weekend We- The Sot-weed Factor Part 1

This weekend we talked about a book that none of us had finished reading among babies and dogs and a few select menfolk. The weather was just right and the Chesapeake served as the perfect backdrop for a novel that retells Maryland's early history. The few who had read pages into the triple digits tried to convince the rest of us that the story is, in fact, hilarious, and tried to inspire us to keep on keepin' on.

I don't know how to say anything new about our book club. I don't know how to explain, once again, the value that these almost monthly gatherings. But they mean a whole lot to me. I think a lot of women lose themselves when they have young children. They forget that they need friends and connections beyond their families. It's really easy to fill your time with the dozens of things that need done. On Saturday as I worked in my yard along side Tom, my brother, and my mom, I considered not going. There was so much to do. 
But there will always be so much to do. The yard can wait while I drink a glass of champagne with women who make me think and remind me of things that are important.

2 comments:

  1. Essential reminder! And I know I've said it before but I'm in love with your book club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in love with book club too. It's the best.

      Delete