Thursday, December 12, 2013

Snowless Snowday Birthday

Yesterday, on the anniversary of Arlo's first day, we all got a gift, an unexpected snowless "snow" day. No work, no school, just time for family, time for Arlo. And I should have been happy as a clam, but for reasons completely unknown to me, I was in terrible, terrible mood.

I tried to celebrate. I made a big breakfast and invited family over. Sena, Gus, and I baked a cake while Arlo napped. But nothing managed to get me out of my funk until Tom suggested we bundle up for a walk. The fresh, crisp air, a little exercise, and my sweet kiddos helped lift my spirits for a while. I mean, look at these faces, how dare I be grumpy in their presence? 






I would say I am a generally positive person (sometimes even obnoxiously upbeat, Heather). But I think it's important to practice happiness, too, to not take it for granted. There are so many habits, practices, and choices that impact my mood and attitude. I've been trying to think about what those things are, the things that bring me joy and contentment. This has been one of the best years of my life, and I will be sad to bid it farewell in a few weeks. I want to me mindful of my happiness in this upcoming year, and maybe use this space to help keep me accountable. I want to be the best mother, wife, daughter, sister, friend, and teacher I can be. When I look at those little faces of my little people in particular, it makes me want to work hard at being my best, happiest, most grateful. 

Happy birthday, Arlo. I will try to be the best mother to you I can be, this year and all my years.
 I love you with my whole heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment