Friday, December 13, 2013

Not Quite Whole, Still Loving Myself

A friend of mine, the one who inspired me to try it out to begin with, asked me about my Loving Myself- Whole30 Challenge. It occurred to me that I put it out there and then never mentioned it again. Maybe in part, actually definitely in whole, because I didn't do as well with it as I hoped.

I'll start with the positive. I lost weight, 10 pounds, which is wonderful and made me feel really great and optimistic. And while doing it I felt great, and I don't mind eating this way at all. However, and there is always a however with me and diet, I didn't stick to it the way I wanted to. I didn't actually do the Whole30; I did the Twothirds30 or maybe the Seventyfivepercent30. That doesn't feel great, not because it's some sort of failure, but because I didn't achieve what I set out to achieve. And when I started thinking about that, I got sort of embarrassed. I started to feel like I failed, but that is nonsense. My challenge had two parts, and the first part was about loving myself.
I did a pretty good job, not perfect, but pretty good. And just because I didn't do it this time, doesn't mean I won't do it. This needs to become my new normal, so today, I'm going to get back on the horse, or whatever it is that cavemen got on, since that's the theme. And tomorrow, I am going to look myself in the mirror and remind myself that I love myself, and that I can do anything that I want to do, and that I'm beautiful (are you guys still reading the cheesiness I'm spewing right now? Man, cheese...that's the hardest part to get rid of) And while I can't commit to the whole Whole30 until after the new year, I can recommit to big changes I have put into motion.

"Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”- Gautama Buddha


And you know what, I'm excited about it, and I refuse to feel defeated.

I might share some of the things I discovered/ figured out along the way, not because I think people are all that interested in the specifics of my changes, but because so often putting things into words helps me to understand them better.

I want to be the best mom I can be, and that means being healthy, and it means setting a good example for my children. The best gift I can give them is a mother who is full of life, love, and energy. Today i am born again. Today matters most.

  

1 comment: