Wednesday, October 2, 2013

This Old House

The amount of time I spend thinking about my house is absolutely embarrassing, possibly shameful. Since buying a house, I have a completely different relationship with my living space and my things, and also with my mom, or at least the way that I understand her.
As a kid I couldn't understand how she could spend so long trying to decide which fan to buy. I didn't see that the cream walls were actually green. I couldn't imagined why she said her favorite store was the hardware store.

But since we bought this old cottage, I want to make it ours, a reflection of what we value and who we are as a family. I want it to tell our story, and so all the sudden every light fixture, every door handle, seems important.

It's meant that I've maybe spend a little too long pondering who I am and who I want to be, pondering what type of family we are, and what type of family I want us to be.
I'm hoping for eclectic and imperfect, warm and comfortable, inviting and unexpected. I want people to want to explore, to sit on the chairs, to pull out books, and to grab a drink. I want the space to be beautiful and exciting, filled with life and experiences and patina and so much love.


For more of my home obsessing you can check these out, or not. Totally up to you.

1 comment:

  1. I think your new place is definitely fitting the bill; it looks perfectly and purely INVITING, that's for sure. I can't wait to own our own home someday. The way you describe that feeling sounds wonderful and challenging and exciting. You're doing a beautiful job creating the life you imagine for yourself!

    ReplyDelete