Friday, September 27, 2013

The County Fair

When we moved to my mama's home town from the DC suburbs when I was ten, even my ten year old self knew that it was very telling that the schools didn't close for Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah here, but they did close for the county fair.

(Before I moved to Calvert County, I'm not even sure if I knew what county I was from. In the suburbs, people don't identify themselves by county in the same way.)

The fair is important here, and so  Wednesday we brought canned goods to help feed the homeless and bought all you can ride wrist bands for Tom and the big kids, and those guys rode and rode and rode. And while the kids were making Tom sick on the teacups, Arlo and I shared a pumpkin funnel cake, and like every time we go to the fair, the kids declared it the best fair ever.








I think the kids might be right; it may have been the best fair ever, at least until next year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment