Thursday, May 9, 2013

Married: A Forgotten Post From April


When Tom and I decided to get married, it felt less like a decision and more like an attempt, an attempt to love each other a well as we could. An attempt to make a home. An attempt to make a family.

I never had to wonder if I was doing the right thing. Getting married was the right thing to do after a reckless decision made almost a year before. So I never had to wonder if he was the one, or if I was going to miss out on something better. I never had to wonder if I was ready because quite frankly, I knew I wasn't, but that didn't matter. I didn't matter. We mattered.

And I am so very grateful that I never had to decide. All I had to do was embrace- embrace the life set before me. Embrace motherhood, embrace Sena, embrace Tom.  And I've done my best to never stop embracing those things. When things or times are tough (and I am so lucky that the tough times a few), I just keep embracing, and lucky for me there are even more things to embrace now.

I love this man. He is smart and funny and great in a moment of crisis. He is generous and accommodating and patient with everything except electronic devices. He is a wonderful father and he's my friend. Today marks eight years of being married to this guy. I feel pretty lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment