Thursday, March 14, 2013

Why I Homeschool: Part 1

I was homeschooled starting in 7th grade. Ten years later, I became a public high school teacher, but when it came time to send my kids to school, well, I just didn't. I teach in a great school system, with amazing teachers, but I home school my kids with the help of my mother and husband because I believe in homeschooling. This series is on the reasons why I choose to home school my children.

Traditional school takes up too much time. Most kids spend somewhere between 7-8 hours "doing school." However, so many of those hours are wasted. Hours are wasted on buses, between classes, days before break, days after break. Hours are wasted while a teacher has to discipline students or deal with bureaucratic obligations.  Hours are wasted when a student already knows the material but can't move on because the rest of the class doesn't. Hours are wasted when the student doesn't know the material but has to move on because the rest of the class does. Hours are wasted when the student just isn't in the mood to learn, but sits quietly in the back, or in the front, or in the middle for that matter, and nods when she needs to, looks down at the book when she needs to, fills in the blanks where she needs to, but never really bothers to learn, to think about a darn thing being taught.

And all of these hours, when you add them up, are a pretty impressive chunk of childhood.


I don't want my children's childhoods to be spent at a desk any longer than it needs to. I don't want Sena spending an hour a day on a school bus. And when Gus is finished his assignment, I don't just want him to have to wait patiently while everyone else completes the activity. I want  to get up, grab a toy, and go have fun because this is his childhood, his one childhood. I want my children's childhood to be spent actively engaged- sometimes actively engaged in academics, sometimes actively engaged in play, but always engaged.

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting and important to consider. I'm nowhere near there yet but education still worries at the back corner of my brain quite often. I have no idea what we'll do but if it is public school I have no qualms about pulling her out for a week or month at a time for family road trips to new places, that's when real learning happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. It makes me sad because so many school systems are even discouraging field trips because it takes away from "academics." I think pretty much the best thing you can do for your child academically is take them as many places as often as you can afford. School is such a big decision, and it's so hard to know what to do, what will work best for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to tell you that I am in love with everything you write, Rachel. I am studying to be a High School teacher as well. I have also thought about homeschooling my future children (not a mother yet), and think this is such an important but hard decision for parents to make. The way you summed it up in the last paragraph really is what teaching should be all about.

    Are you an English teacher? You have such a nice, calm writing style. Can't wait to read part 2!


    xxx Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment/compliment was a great way to start my Monday. Thank you so much Sabrina. I am an English teacher, and I love it. I'm hoping that sometime in the near future I am able to mostly stay home and homeschool, but for now, with the help of my parents and my sister, I'm teaching public school while the "tribe" helps me with my kids. And if I have to leave my kids, which for now I do, I'm glad it's to teach because it is rewarding and fun and creative. What subject are you planning to teach?
      Thanks again Sabrina.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome :-). I think it's awesome that you have so much support from your family while you work. I'm actually planning on teaching English, too! I'm glad to "hear" you say that teaching has been rewarding for you. Just makes me want to teach even more :-). Thank you.

      Delete
  4. i homeschooled my two oldest for 6 years. i loved it and miss it. not sure yet if i'll homeschool the younger two...we'll see :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are the two older kiddos in school now? Homeschooling can have moments of pure joy. I would miss it too.

      Delete
  5. Interesting. i definitely think being home schooled could give some advantages, though I imagine it would also be a pretty daunting task as a mother. Anyway, good to read :)

    x

    Marielle

    ReplyDelete